On top of that, there is a problem in the Ubuntu libtiff recent patch, which breaks QGIS.
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1897

On 03/29/2017 02:33 PM, Randal Hale wrote:
If I understand correctly there is a new version of GDAL in UbuntuGIS that is causing a conflict. They are working to resolve it. For instance - I am on 2.18.4 and can't upgrade currently. I would install just from the QGIS Repository and wait a bit - then upgrade to UbuntuGIS in a few days.

Randy