Hi,

Other people have given you good mathematical /computational answers.  Between
decimal degrees (dd) and d/m/s, i find that dd is easier to handle.  However
the choice of using a degrees or a national CRS in meter or feet is not just
limited to the x and y coordinate format. If you are positioning only 2D point
data, I expect you can get away with it but if you have angles, distances,
heights,  areas or volume to measure, then there are other parameters to take
into account in the CRS.  X,y formats are then just one parameter in a much
more complexe CRS picture (like the geiod).  The ultimate goal of all these CRS
is to reduce distortion for a particular type of measurement over a particular
part of the world.   Therefore, depending on the problem, a CRS in degrees is
sometimes called for, and a sometimes not.

Nicolas