Am 05.12.2017 um 06:05 schrieb Sarah:
In the past, when I went to open a vector layer, QGISautomatically
found shape files. Then I changed the option to MapInfo to opensome
MapInfo files. Now the browse dialogue doesn’t give me an option to
find .shpfiles. If I navigate to a folder including shape files, the
open vector browse boxshows it as empty. I can manually find the
shape files by typing *.shp into thedialogue box (open vector\browse)
and then it shows them, but next time I go toopen another vector
layer it reverts to the last file format I set (MapInfo)and I have to
keep typing in *.shp to get it to hunt for shape files. Thedialogue
box doesn’t have an option to search for all file formats nor
anoption to go back to searching for ESRI shape files. How can I make
it go backto the default behaviour where it automatically found .shp
files without mehaving to type in *.shp every time I want to find a
shape file? I am using QGIS2.18.2.

From the top menu, select Layer -> Add Layer -> Add Vector Layer, then click on Browse.

At the bottom of the form, you should have an input box labelled file name, and right to it a filter dropdown box. The long list starts with "All files (*.*)", "ESRI Shapefiles" some rows below, and ends with "X-Plane/Flightgear". Unfortunately, there is no vertical scroll bar (at least on Windows). You need a mouse wheel to see the filetypes not visible. Without a mouse wheel you have to use cursor up and down to see the rest of the list.

Once you have selected "ESRI Shapefile", it will be remembered for the next use of that form. Same as you have chosen Mapinfo.

HTH,
André Joost