Just so we’ve got just about everything covered, does this happen for “Edit->
Paste As”?

Also looking at the size of your original CSV, I’d go along with Jeroen, and
try and import that csv into some other format first.
If you can find a way of making the selection without going near the attribute
table that will help too.

Regards,
Ramon.