It's funny how writing a question is usually the first step to answering
it. Larry, you win! That was exactly the problem. I was logged in with my
account which is not the owner of the schema. I realized that while digging
a little deeper.

So this begs the question, how does one allow users to create tables that
will inherit the default permissions without giving them explicit ownership
of the schema? For instance, in my database I have a staff group that has
read-only access to the database and other more specific groups that have
more privileges, depending on the schema.

Item 2? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...? Bueller...? I am installing 3.2.1 now
-- fingers crossed the problem is fixed.

Thanks for the help!

Cliff