Looks like https://issues.qgis.org/issues/18576

> Drag from the Browser panel does not seem to work (Invalid layer reported
> from GDAL)

That's not supported, as drag from browser will attempt to read the
DWG directly as a map layer and skip the import process.

> The conversion to gpkg is somewhat slow (one file, 7MB took about 25 minutes
> to load, and grew to 56MB !) but there's no visual indication that it is
> progressing. DWG files with XREF's also take a long time. What you get is the
> "Not responding" message in the DWG Import window.  If you have patience :-)
> it eventually finishes successfully. It would be preferable to see some
> progress bar.

What we really need here is to move the import to a background task --
the couple of times I've tried to import DWG I've given up as it
looked like the application had locked. I took a quick look at the
code and it should be relatively straightforward to move this to a
background task.

> When opening the DWG Import window, the settings from the previous import are
> still there (even if you close and reopen QGIS). If you leave the same gpkg
> filename as the previous import, it is overwritten, without any warning. I
> think it would be better to have both text boxes, "Geopackage" and
> "Drawing", empty every time the window opens. And an overwrite warning would
> also be good.

An overwrite warning is definitely necessary! Can you please file a
bug report for this?

Nyall