New to qgis. I am still running Ubuntu 16.04-LTS because many applications
break on 18.04-LTS.

Is there any way to git clone the latest version or download a tarball or a
complete .deb that just simply installs or updates an older version?

First, someone told me to just
sudo apt-get install qgis
It turned out to be version 2.18, and I discovered that a few features he
had working properly did not work properly on my machine. So I started
googling for how to get the latest version when he told me had version
3.something on his Debian machine.

I think I followed the instructions properly on
https://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html#debian-ubuntu

I edited
/etc/apt/sources.list
and added the lines

#QGIS repository
deb https://qgis.org/ubuntu xenial main
deb-src https://qgis.org/ubuntu xenial main

Then I attempted

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install qgis python3-qgis qgis-plugin-grass

It complained with an error, "unable to find python3-qgis" (or possibly
"cannot find python3-qgis") and terminated.

So I shortened it to
sudo apt-get install qgis qgis-plugin-grass

to try and force it to either complain about missing dependencies, or
actually go fetch them. However, it completed with no complaints.
qgis desktop and qgis browser showed up in the installed software list, and
desktop started without complaining about missing dependencies or similar
issues.

What launched is QGIS 2.18, with a "helpful" banner across the bottom that
3.8.1 is available. This of course took me around the circle again, to the
same instructions that either I'm getting senile and missed something, or
there's an error or two in the posted instructions.

So - how do I clean out all the vestiges of qgis 2.18 to try again with a
clean slate, where it won't just merrily go get 2.18 again from the wrong
depository? Is there some workaround to gain positive control over which
version is fetched, e.g. a place to download a complete .deb archive that
it can be installed from, or a git clone or some other method?

Thanks. I've spent about 4 hours trying to get the later version on this
machine with no success and finally gave up. So I figured I'd better ask
the experts what implied step(s) were missed in doing the update.