This reply is rather long and some of the information has already partly been given in other replies. However, the following list is my "checklist" for using Postgres/PostGIS with QGIS and other GIS programs.

 * Postgres is an excellent platform for creating a multi user spatial
   data platform. And - for QGIS - faster than using just about any
   other spatial storage technology. But you have prepare your Postgres
   setup.

 * Memory configuration: Out of the box Postgres is *very* conservative
   about using memory. Tune the configuration. If you don't have the
   know-how or time use a tool like this:
   *https://pgtune.leopard.in.ua/#/* (there is one aber-dabei: Choose
   "Linux" as the operating system even if you server is Windows. The
   old advise about using only 512 MB shared memory on windows is
   obsolete:
   *https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2018.html#December_17_2018*)

 *   If you have a serious multi CPU server (And who hasn't ?): Use
   Postgres 12 / PostGIS 3 for getting maximum performance using
   multiprocessing in Postgres/PostGIS:
   *http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2019/08/postgis-3-parallel.html *(and
   tune your Postgres accordingly - see above). Yes I know about QGIS
   troubles with Postgres 12. They will hopefully be resolved quickly.

 * If you have a "Windows only" setup i.e both the server and the
   clients are Windows, consider using SSPI sign on method:

*https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Configuring_for_single_sign-on_using_SSPI_on_Windows*
   It's equivalent to "Integrated security" for MS-SQLServer and will
   reduce the hassle about user credentials for Postgres, because the
   server will reuse the windows logon identity inside Postgres.

 * And a little know trick: If you have a lot of large complex
   geometries and some extra disk capacity you can speed your queries
   considerably by *not* compressing TOAST data for your spatial
   tables:
   *http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2018/09/postgis-external-storage.html.

   *
 * (This information is probably not pertinent for you as this time) If
   you have a "large" pool of users where a small part is "editors" and
   a large part "read-only" users, consider having 2 Postgres servers:

     o One for editing users, where the Postgres setup is tuned for
       editing. Only editing user is allowed access to this server. The
       server can probably be quite small.

     o A second Postgres server tuned for read access. All Postgres
       users has only read access to this server. This server is the
       larger of the servers.

     o Connect the 2 server in a master/slave replication configuration
       using the "editor" server as a master. This will remove any
       problems for "editor"-users when "read"-users blow up the read
       server with some convoluted query (And they will !!)

--
Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards

Bo Victor Thomsen