This discussion is interesting and very helpful.

Some remarks from our experiences in a densely forested region with narrow
valleys and steep slopes, lots of water floating in creeks and abandoned rice
paddies -- water all around.

ANTENNA:
The antenna of Garmin 64 is a lot quicker in receiving signals than that of the
<100$ Garmin etrex10, but it was not more precise, just a lot quicker, which
may be due to the chips inside rather than the antenna. The Garmin Oregon,
which has an antenna similar to the etrex10 was a quick as the 64. We did not
try smartphones, but a colleague who is doing similar research told us that he
uses the Oregon and an iPhone with similar results. Therefore, it seems that
Garmin handhelds are really not necessary.

SATELLITES:
We receive GLONASS and GPS, max is about 18 satellites, but this gives good
results where the conditions are good.

AVERAGE AND LOCATION:
We got very good experiences with averaging. This means, I just measured
shortly until I got enough satellites and measured after a period of at least
two hours again. I repeated this on different times on other days, but after
all, the measurements concentrated in less than one meter, the precision of the
average as compared to the LiDAR data being under 40cm.
We had equally "precise" measurements at places beneath slopes and with lots of
water floating around, but the precision was in the wrong place, about 5 to 10
meters apart from where it should be. These are, as we were told, systematical
errors that cannot be overcome, by any GPS.

COMBINATION
Solutions like the https://emlid.com/reachrs/ mentioned in this thread seem to
help with at lest two receivers working. Can anybody report whether it helps to
place the base station in a location far from the slopes and the waters of the
broken paddy fields or creeks and then walk around with the second receiver to
measure places down at the slopes?

Maria