On 6/16/20 9:27 PM, Micha Silver wrote:
> Even though I've been using QGIS for many years, I'm still confused by
> the concept of templates. When I create a basic project (currently using
> 3.10 on Linux) and choose "Save to..." and select "templates", a *.qgz
> file is indeed created in my templates directory. When I restart QGIS
> and select "New from template" that template project is opened. But
> then, any further changes are saved back to the template unless I
> explicitly do "Save as...". I would expect that "New from template"
> should open a *new* project with all the elements from the template, but
> not allowing to alter the original template.
>

> Am I missing something?

Hi Micha,

I agree, I also hit this when I create a simple reference map, and use
the 'Set current project as default' and 'create a project from default
project' sometimes (not always) it seems that I have saved (upon close
or so?) my stuff into the template...
Which indeed seems odd.
My guess would be: you create a template, and after that it is more or
less read-only. ONLY if you save a template with the same name, you can
change it...

Another thing in the template world: sometimes (only default profile?) I
have a 'create blank'-template and sometimes it is missing...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde