Hi Walt,

though I do no have a lot of experience with CAD imports and no idea of
the idea behind CAD in general, but I learnt over the time, that doesn't
make much sense to try to make good data out of shitty data, but to
better try to convince those non-geo CAD-users to invest some time in
finding the proper export settings for their data.
I at least received already a good amount of AutoCAD files that went
into QGIS super-smooth without any problem, while from others it was
crap like yours.

So the solution is the person behind the CAD-program, and rather not to
find sophisticated import strategies.

Just my 2 cents

Bernd