Dear QGIS users,

I have been using actions in QGIS for years and I find them very useful and
much easier to create than plugins. As a reminder, they can have 4 different
scopes, which are 'Field', 'Feature', 'Layer' and 'Canvas'.

However, there is one thing I don't understand: when choosing 'Canvas', it is
always necessary to click on an layer element after choosing the action to be
used in the attributes toolbar (with the action button - the little wheel). Why
is this? Wouldn't it be easier to immediately trigger an action by clicking on
its name in the toolbar?
In particular, I have defined a Python action that fetches a file containing
data to be imported into a database, with no specific link to a particular
entity.

So, have I misunderstood the use of the action? Am I missing something?

Or maybe better, would it be possible to have actions not related to any layer ?

Didier