Hey Richard,

do you have different NODATA pixels between the three bands (R, G, B) or is it the same? If there are no differences then you can use an additional channel as mask. I would suggest you store your imagery in GeoTIFF with an "internal mask". Even posted a nice example of this in https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2014-August/039907.html If your format supports RGBA (e.g. PNG), then that would be another way to achieve this but a nice GeoTIFF should be the best solution.

Cheers, Hannes