I don't think the label "HTML formatting" currently supports links.
The supported HTML is just a subset of HTML, mainly focused on visual
styles:

"""
The HTML formatting option enables the proper rendering of some HTML
tags to customize the label. The supported HTML tags are:

* Color, applicable to text, underline, strikethrough, and overline
* Font properties (font family, font size, bold and italic)
* Superscript and subscript components in text
"""
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/style_library/label_settings.html#text-tab

Keith