Dear QGIS developers and users,

In my work as a freelance GIS consultant I work with QGIS as much as possible and try to convince clients that it will address all their GIS needs despite not having to pay a license fee for it (and no, it is not user unfriendly).

More and more, in addition to wanting 'a GIS system', there are requests for a web based management information system which shows both maps and a dashboard with selected KPIs, and where selecting a feature on the map will update the graphs and charts in the dashboard. So far, I have not been able to find out if this is possible using Open Source software, what it would require in terms of setting it up/configuring/additional development. I assume it is technically possible to develop it.

Does anyone have experience with this? How did you set it up? Any examples I could have a look at? I guess strictly speaking it is not a QGIS question, but seeing that some other proprietary GIS software vendors are offering web dashboard functionality 'out of the box' it does get associated with the GIS software procured.

Is there a demand for it (from my limited view - yes)? Are there thoughts about developing such functionality more 'out of the box' within the QGIS community? What would such development require? My impression is that there is more (very tentative) willingness from donors to consider contributing to Open Source software development as part of development projects, but it may mean that it would need to be written into tender proposals with indicative figures for the required funding.

I have a limited understanding of what is out there (I've just dabbled (so far unsuccesfully) with chartbrew and grafana the past few days to see how dashboard creation works) so I am not sure what are the right questions to ask. I realise my questions are still rather broad. I have some time at hand so I would be available to do more research and become more specific if there is an interest in this topic.

Looking forward to your ideas!
Janneke