Tim,

Following your build instructions, I was able to build QGIS, however,
I did not install grass from the ubuntu repo as I have grass 6.3.cvs
already installed (also from source).

running the autogen.sh script I have excluded grass just to test for
compile problems. QGIS runs ok.

This time i want to include grass in the compilation.  How do I point
to the grass libraries?

I have included this one in the autogen script

--with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs #pointing to my grass install

But I get this;
qgis 0.8.0
GDAL/OGR      : yes (Version 1.2.6)
GEOS          : yes (Version 2.1.4)
PostgreSQL    : yes (Version 8.1.4)
GRASS         : no
SPIT          : yes
Georeferencer : yes
WFS           : no
GPS/GPX       : yes
PROJ4         : yes
SQLITE3       : yes
Python        :

CPPFLAGS      :
CXXFLAGS      : -g -Wall

Debug         : yes
Plugin dir    : /home/maning/apps/lib/qgis

The binary will be installed in /home/maning/apps/bin

The build is using Qt in /usr
Linking with Qt using -lQtCore -lQt3Support -lQtGui -lQtNetwork
-lQtSvg -lQtCore -lQt3Support -lQtGui -lQtNetwork -lQtXml -lQtSvg
-lQtTest -lQtDesigner
Configure finished, type 'make' to build.
./build.sh: line 55: --with-grass=/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs: No such
file or directory

How do I point to my grass6.3 libraries.  the main grass install is in
/usr/local/grass-6.3.cvs

Cheers,

Maning

PS  This is the second time I build from source, the first one is GRASS (whew!)
Third challenge is mapserver.  If I have success with mapserver, I
think I can finally graduate from being a linux newbie!