Hi

I cant speak for the other tools you mentioned, but in QGIS the only way to do such a thing currently is to go 'under the hood' and programme it in c++. It will make an interesting tutorial so if you were not afraid of a bit of C++ I could probably do a little tutorial on http://blog.qgis.org showing the basics of creating such an iterator. In the release after 0.8 we expect Martin Dobias's python bindings work to be part of the release, at which point such functionality should be somewhat easier for non C++ folks.

Regards

Tim