On 11/4/06, Gary Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Nov 4, 2006, at 9:24 AM, Tom Russo wrote:

> I run QGIS on FreeBSD these days, and have found that I need the
> attached patch to get the grass shell and gps plugin to work.  The
> grass shell patch is needed even to get the thing to compile.
>

> The grass shell patch makes sure the right include files are brought
> in to get at the PTY functions.
>
> The gpsplugin patch changes the preprocessor symbol that selects what
> style of ports to probe for, and adds a block of code that scans for
> USB serial adapters.

Great - thanks for the patch. One question -- which version/revision
of QGIS was it generated against?

A current svn checkout
> Is there a reason that the GPS plugin's gui doesn't allow one to type
> in a port?  As it is, if the port doesn't show up in the pull-down
> box, it can't be used.  That means that if one were to plug in a USB
> serial adapter (which causes a new /dev/ucom* node to be created)
> after the GPS plugin dialog is created, one can't get at it.

No particular reason that I know of -- but I'm not the author of the
plugin. It would be a simple matter to allow user input for port.

-gary

Gary Sherman
Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com
   *Geospatial Hosting