I use GIS software daily to get my job done, but it's proprietary COMMERCIAL software and I really would like to have the same level of functionality, ease of use, and stability in my non-work environment so that I can do non-work related GIS projects.  QGIS provides some of what I am looking for and more importantly a community  that brings together useful and knowledgeable resources and people doing GIS work. When I contributed, I felt that $50 was a very small amount to support my community and help get those qualities in an open source project.   I would strongly encourage everyone who uses proprietary GIS software to contribute to QGIS  ON A REGULAR BASIS.   (AND I challenge those in the land of Starbucks, to an equivalent of at least a latte a month to QGIS).

Carl Nelson
Lake Stevens, WA
USA