I gave the Spit Plugin of the latest native Windows build a spin.
As soon as I add a shapefile to the list of files to import, Qgis crashes
with a C++ runtime error (sorry, no specific error message). I tried a
number of different shape files (with and without z, big and small, blanks
and no blanks in path); it seems to make no difference, the crashes always
occur when Qgis scans the shape file.

Cheers, Hartmut