I solved the problem (hoping it's a stable solution!) compiling Qt 4.2.2 qnd
QGi 0.8.0 Preview2 by myself.
Therefore it was a problem related to my Qt 4 packages.
Thanks everyone for the support.

Giovanni

2006/12/13, Akio Takubo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello Giovanni,

I have a same problem with my Debian PC. I'm not sure of its details, but
it seems to be related a problem between Qt4 package and X drivers.
It works fine with VESA driver or other PC (with radeon driver),
but can't work with NVIDIA or NV driver.

One idea is trying other Qt4 applications (Debian has some Qt4 app).
If other app have same problem, it is a Qt4 or its packageing problem,
but other app works fine with same driver, there is something wrong
with QGIS code.

Regards,

   Akio Takubo

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:37:58 +0100
"G. Allegri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes I did. It worked fine. Everything looked visually smart inside the
> config tool. I tried changing some parameters but nothing seems to
solve. In
> particular, when I open the QGis Plugin Menu, it's unreadable (or
better, it
> seems to shrink and overlap the letters...), while sometimes it renders
good
> if I resize the menu window. That doesn't happen on the other texts of
the
> main window... I never had this kind of problem on any other software,
but I
> think Qgis is the only one using Qt. Maybe I should try to uninstall the
> fedault qt4 package and compile it form source. Could it be a good idea?
>
> 2006/12/12, Gary Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > Did you run qtconfig?
> >  On Dec 11, 2006, at 4:26 PM, G. Allegri wrote:
> >
> > nothing happened. I didn't have qtfontig installed, but installing it
> > did'nt seem to solve my problem. Using QGis during the day I've seen
that
> > sometimes characters are correctly displayed, but just for a while...
Then
> > they become unreadable again. I'm going crazy!
> >
> > Giovanni
> >
> > 2006/12/12, Gary Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > >

> > >  On Dec 11, 2006, at 3:12 PM, G. Allegri wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello.
> > > I'm a new QGis user. I've installed QGis 0.8 preview 2 (
debian.gfossrepository) on my laptop and I'm facing a problem with the
texts in the UI,
http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_v2_download_shared_file&file_id=f_31418148
>.
> > > I installed it, the same way, on a desktop PC and it works fine.
I've tried