On 12/29/06, Willem Jenniskens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello,

 The company I work for wants to develop certain GIS functionality on top of
an existing GIS product. I would like to do a small comparison between the
various GIS programs so that we can make a motivated decision. The
application must enable us to develop the following:

Hi Willem,

when developping applications with QGIS, there are basically two options:
- create a plugin for QGIS
- create an application based on QGIS libraries - you can start a new
application and use only some functionality from QGIS - e.g. postgis
data provider, map renderer or map canvas etc.

Applications have to be written with C++ and Qt as QGIS is based on
them. In 0.9 release you will have also possibility to use Python
instead of C++.

- create functionality where a user can place symbols, lines or polygons in
the map by drawing in the map. Next, a dialogbox must appear where he can
enter some attribute information. The coordinates and the entered attribute
data must be stored in a spatial database (postgis).

Yes, you can use map canvas API for this or just directly use
digitizing functionality of QGIS. Postgis backend is well supported.

- One can have multiple views (windows) that are linked together; so when
you pan in one view, the other views will pan along automatically. (there
are different layers in each view)

This could be done in case you would develop a new application - there
you could create multiple map canvases and connect them together.

- Create short-cut keys for various functions; for example to make layers
visible / invisible and to zoom in to a certain scale.

Should be easy - actions in Qt allow settings shortcuts.

- It must be fast with raster and vector data

Well, this is for your own consideration whether it's fast enough.

- Make use of global variables that we can use in the entire application

Why not...

- Create buttons, menu bars, etc that execute our developed scripts

A piece of cake :)

Check out developer's corner on QGIS wiki, you'll find some tutorials
on how to develop plugins and/or custom applcations with QGIS:
http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/DevelopersCorner

Regards,
Martin