Hi
I test it on an other XP computer where an old testing version of QGIS was
present. I uninstalled it, I install the new version but I have the same
problem.
In the italian GFOSS list I see that other XP user that have' nt older
 version of QGIS on their computers have not my problems.

So I test it on a old Windows 98 computer where no older version QGIS were
present and in this case all seems work well.

So I think that maybe the problem is linked to some settings files of the
older version (minsys, user settings...) that are not erase with the
disinstallation.
I find a .qgis field in the Windows "home" of my user, I delete it but the
problem is again present.
Do you know if there is other similar files or fields that remain after the
disinstallation?

Regards

leonardo