Hello and happy new year,

I have the same problem too. Replicating the issue is exceedingly easy: open
Qgis, add any vector layer (file, PostGIS), that's it--access violation in
Qgis.exe, but obviously not on all Windows versions. I'm on WinXP Pro x64,
which is the Windows Server 2003 codebase. I haven't been able to test on
32-bit XP yet. This problem did not occur in Windows testbuilds until RC1
(qgis_setup_finalpreview2.exe). I hope that will narrow down the choices of
potential causes.

Cheers, Hartmut