Hi,

I send an email in this list to know why qgis 0.8 can't read ecw file. Tim
Sutton reply me that he was "still unclear if the
licensing of ECW is compatible with GPL applications".

I just read the SDK pages about the librairy :

"You can **select one of the three simple** license agreements for use of this
library (full license agreement text is available here and in the SDK
itself).

Licensing:

    * Free use license: A free license, providing unlimited
read/500MB-per-image  compression for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any application
including commercial applications.
    * GPL-style license: A free license, providing unlimited read/unlimited
compression  for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any GPL style application.
    * Commercial license: Once off fee license with no royalties for
commercial  applications needing unlimited compression for ECW and JPEG
2000."

So it seems possible to use a GPL-like licence for the librairy. In the
licence.txt we can read :

"Use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing and Unlimited
Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General Public style
license ("GPL") is governed by the "ECW JPEG 2000 SDK PUBLIC USE LICENSE
AGREEMENT"."

and :

"The intent of this license is to establish **freedom to share** and change
the software regulated by this license under the open source model and is
applicable to the use of the ECW JPEG 2000 SDK with Unlimited Decompressing
and Unlimited Compression for applications licensed under a GNU General
Public style license ("GPL") as set out below.
**This license applies to any use of the Software Product solely intended to
develop or be distributed with products that are licensed under a license
similar to a General Public License ("GPL") and at no charge to the public**.
This license covers modification and distribution of the Software, use of
third-party application programs based on the Software, and development of
free software that uses the Software."

I am not a guru about law and licence, but do you think this quote allow qgis
team to distribute qgis with ecw librairy ?

Sorry if I missed something !

Regards,

Y.
--