Hi all,

I have read with a great interest your discusion about ECW licence.

It doesn't seems  very simple...

The ability of QGis (windows binaries) to read ECW is also a fundamental point
for us if we want to adopt QGIS.

Several opensource project (gvSIG, Mapserver, FWTools, ...) based of course
upon GDAL raster access, are already able to read ECW, but not QGIS.

The link produced by Yves Jacobin seems to break the seals on GPL software :

http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=305

Licensing:

*       Free use license: A free license, providing unlimited
read/500MB-per-image  compression for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any application
including commercial applications.
*       GPL-style license: A free license, providing unlimited read/unlimited
compression  for ECW and JPEG 2000 in any GPL style application.
*       Commercial license: Once off fee license with no royalties for
commercial  applications needing unlimited compression for ECW and JPEG 2000.

Unless you need to support compression of images larger than 500MB in
commercial applications, one of the two free licenses should address your needs.

Release Date: Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Does it means we can expect a windows compiled distribution of QGIS that will
read ECW ?

Or is there still a problem ?

Many Thanks !

Fabrice THEVENON

Direction des Moyens Techniques

Conseil Général des Pyrénées-Atlantiques

64 avenue Jean Biray

64058 Pau Cedex 9

05 59 11 40 72