Carl Brown wrote:
Environment:
Running QGIS from a GRASS session.
GRASS region is using a NAD27 UTM projection (1385), because that is the projection used by the USGS DEM and DRG raster data.

In QGIS, I created a GPX layer, and digitized some waypoints and a route. The resulting GPX file contains "latitude" and "longitude" in UTM coordinates, which is not valid data for either gpsbabel or the GPX format. Here is one route point from the resulting GPX file:

<rtept lat="4879221.049" lon="315983.2026">
</rtept>

Changing the projection in QGIS to WGS84 lat-lon (2585) causes the UTM-projected raster data to disappear from the display, which is not surprising, but that makes it impossible to digitize routes and waypoints from it while using the proper projection for the GPX file.

Is there a good way to reproject the coordinates in the GPX file, either on-the-fly or by post-processing the GPX file?

When you add a new GPX-layer you should set its projection to WGS84 (2585). Perhaps the easiest way is to go into Edit->Preferences and select the Projection tab. Set to "Ask..." befvore you add/create any layer.

The project projection should be set to NAD27 UTM projection (1385), and turned on.

The Raster data should also have NAD27 UTM projection (1385) (always the same as project projection).

(Guys, I tihnk we need to rename project projection to something else)

--
Magnus Homann
[EMAIL PROTECTED]