On Sunday 14 January 2007 1:34 pm, Magnus Homann wrote:
> When you add a new GPX-layer you should set its projection to WGS84
> (2585). Perhaps the easiest way is to go into Edit->Preferences and
> select the Projection tab. Set to "Ask..." befvore you add/create any
> layer.

Thanks. I got it working after a few tries. I ran into some issues trying to
do what you suggested. (QGIS 0.7.4, Debian Sid AMD64)

The Settings>Preferences>Projection>Prompt for projection apparently is not
working, since it does not prompt for projection when set. The new layer is
created using the projection from the active GRASS location.

The Layer popup list>Properties>General>Spatial Reference System
shows: "+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs " even after it has
defaulted to something else as mentioned above. I created a new GPX layer,
and checked the layer projection. Then it still produced UTM numbers in the
GPX file, even with on-the-fly projection enabled.

When On-the-fly projection is enabled, the layer projection can be changed,
and then it works as it should.

--
Carl Brown
Whitefield, NH USA