On Monday 29 January 2007 3:16 pm, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Other than that I really dont see any great cons in the road ahead -
> though it would be interesting to get a retrospective opinion on the
> matter from some projects that have already gone through the
> process...

I'm just a GRASS user, not a developer,
but I've using GRASS since v4.something.

From my perspective, the more eyes on the code, the better.
The pace of GRASS development has done nothing but increase as the project has
become more widely known. Even as just one lowly non-professional GIS user, I
have been personally involved in kicking out more than one bug from GRASS.

I don't think that anyone on this list would have any substantial argument
with the Mission Statement and goals shown at:
<https://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/about.html>

Markus Neteler in particular has a vote of confidence from me,
for his outstanding leadership work on the GRASS project.

And for those who don't know,
Frank Warmerdam is the original author of GDAL,
who released a substantial amount of his own
previously proprietary personal work under the GPL,
to the benefit of us all.

In my opinion, it would be counterproductive for QGIS to not join OSGEO.
OSGEO is intended to be the center for the open source GIS community.
OSGEO has been started by recognized community leaders.
Any questions?

--
Carl Brown
Whitefield, NH USA