I think I could do only typical estimation when people work on it in
spare time - once someone will volunteer to do it, we will have it.
Whether for 0.9 or any other version - I don't know.

Thinking about your idea to create a plugin, in fact only thing you
need to do is to create a new (empty) shapefile (or other file type)
with appropriate fields for attributes. Then you can open that new
layer in QGIS and add all features from your data source to the new
layer using QGIS vector provider.

Martin