Hi

Is qgis a suitable base for customising gis applications?  I'm
thinking
of being able to add menu items for things like predefined queries,
data
entry etc.  Is it easy to do this from the user environment?  I'd like
to make it as easy as possible for non skilled users to produce
standard
mapping reports or do regular data entry.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'the user environment' but be aware
that adding menu entries etc will require some programming in C++.
Future versions will probably allow you to make these kind of
extensions using python too.

While my preferred environment is ubuntu,

I have written pretty detailed guides on getting your ubuntu
configured for use in a developer environment see the bottom links
here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BuildingQuantumGisFromSource

I need to experiment with qgis on windows for a clients project.

We will in the near future be releaseing QGIS 0.8.1 for windows which
among other things has a much easier setup process for developers. I
will be posting a similar windows centric guide to above in the near
future.

Happy QGISSING!

Regards

Tim
2007/3/1, Tim Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Thanks Gary,  that was just the info I was after.  Much appreciated.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 18:03 -0900, Gary Sherman wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just started looking at qgis and have a few questions.  On the
> > home
> > page, the current release link points to version 0.7.4 but the
> > downloads
> > page points to 0.8.0.  Is 0.8.0 considered a stable release?
> >
> Yes, this is an oversight and is in the process of being corrected.
>
> > While my preferred environment is ubuntu, I need to experiment with
> > qgis
> > on windows for a clients project.  My understanding was that qgis
> > relies
> > heavily on grass.  Can anyone give me a quick overview describing the
> > inter-relationship between qgis and grass (especially on windows; I
> > was
> > under the impression that grass was not a goer on windows). To what
> > extend does qgis rely on grass for its functionality?
> >
> QGIS does not rely heavily on or require GRASS and works fine without
> it, giving  you the ability to work with OGR supported data formats
> (eg shapefiles), as well as PostGIS layers.  The GRASS plugin
> provides access to GRASS data and allows you to create, edit, and
> analyze data. It is a fairly complete implementation and comes
> bundled with the Windows version. On other platforms, you must have a
> GRASS install to use the Plugin. If you don't need/want GRASS
> support, you simply don't load the plugin.
>
> > Is qgis a suitable base for customising gis applications?  I'm
> > thinking
> > of being able to add menu items for things like predefined queries,
> > data
> > entry etc.  Is it easy to do this from the user environment?  I'd like
> > to make it as easy as possible for non skilled users to produce
> > standard
> > mapping reports or do regular data entry.
> >
> Yes, we have a number of tutorials for creating custom applications
> available at http://blog.qgis.org. The 0.9 release of QGIS will
> support creating applications using Python.
>

> - -gary
>

> - -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
> Gary Sherman
> Micro Resources: http://mrcc.com