Hello David:

I also think you have a permissions problem. See below...

davideps wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm still working on this and am not actually sure the character encoding is
> causing the problem. According to
> http://tlt.psu.edu/suggestions/international/web/encoding/05nonroman.html,
> the coding for hebrew windows should be similar to ISO-8859-8. But, I'm
> getting a permission denied error in the geometry column even though I am
> the owner of the database... I've pasted text from the terminal when I run
> shp2pgsql and also from the postgresql log file. Any help would be
> appreciated!
>
> -david
>

> -->sudo shp2pgsql -s 2039 -W ISO-8859-8 URBANI.shp urban_areas | psql
> spatialtest
>
> Shapefile type: Polygon
> Postgis type: MULTIPOLYGON[2]
> SET
> BEGIN
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "urban_areas_gid_seq"
> for serial column "urban_areas.gid"
> NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
> "urban_areas_pkey" for table "urban_areas"
> CREATE TABLE
> ERROR:  permission denied for relation geometry_columns

             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Check the grants on geometry_columns. i.e. in psql do:

geodata=> \z geometry_columns;
                       Access privileges for database "geodata"
 Schema |       Name       | Type  |                Access privileges
--------+------------------+-------+--------------------------------------------------
 public | geometry_columns | table |
{postgres=arwdRxt/postgres,dba=arwdRxt/postgres}
(1 row)

You probably should have "ALL PRIVILEGES" (arwdRxt) on the
geometry_columns table for whatever database user is trying to do the
shp2pgsql insert.

Cheers,
Micha

--