I am trying to compile qgis 0.9.1 on my Fedora Core 6 system. (qgis
0.8.1 is already installed and working).  Fedora 6 runs on Qt-3.3, but
I've added Qt4 and Qt4-devel thru yum.

I've downloaded and compiled SIP, but when I get to compiling PyQt4
here's the error:

 python configure.py -w -q /usr/lib/qt4/bin/qmake
Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
/usr/lib/qt4/bin/qmake -o qtdirs.mk qtdirs.pro
No generator specified in config file:
/home/micha/download/gis/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.3.3/qtdirs.pro
Unable to generate makefile for: qtdirs.pro

I decided to try running cmake anyway in the qgis source as follows:

 cmake -D GRASS_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/grass-6.2.2/ .

and of course I got...

-- PyQt4 not found!
-- Python bindings disabled due dependency problems!
-- Found Qt-Version 4.3.2

But all other pre-requisites were found.

Next I did the make and make install for qgis, and the build completed
successfully.

The newly compiled qgis seems to be running fine. Plugins open as
expected, etc. (except for the Print Composer ??)

So my questions are:

1- What do I lose by not having Python bindings?

2- Any ideas how to overcome that error with PyQt4

TIA,

Micha