Forgot to CC: the list on my response...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Jan 14, 2008 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Points vs. Polygons
To: Beowulf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sounds like you'd be interested in a topological data model which
would all you to store nodes and the connections/relationships between
them (polygons).

Postgis has pre-alpha support for this :
http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?PostgisTopology
GRASS has a well established topological vector data model but I can't
say if it would work well for your purposes.

Another option would be to create your own psuedo-topological system
and have a "nodes" table (your standard points table), a "polygon"
table (with all non-spatial info about your parcels) and a
"polygon_nodes_join" table which would join the two ...:

polygon id | order | nodeid
1 | 1 | 101
1 | 2 | 102
1 | 3 | 103
1 | 4 | 101

Then have a query, script or stored procedure to generate a spatial
polygon layer from the tables.

- matt

On Jan 14, 2008 1:58 PM, Beowulf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As you all know, PostGIS is a great way to store spatial data :) But here's
> another question.
> Let's say we have a PostGIS table that stores polygons. These polygons are
> actually land plots, and there is a bunch of fields in that table to store
> owner information, etc. The spatial data is stored as WKB in a BLOB. But
> what if I want those polygon vertices to have some extra attributes to them?
> Our cadastre expects us to name every point we've measured.
>
> A line in cadastral exchange file would look like this:
> N=1,NP="132",X=5642997.41,Y=3340518.97,MX=0.05,MY=0.05
>
> Meaning this is the first vertex in a polygon, it's name is "123", its
> coords are 5642997.41 and 3340518.97. Also the error of measurement is 0.05
> meters for both X and Y.
>
> I suspect there is no way to attach that info to every vertex in a polygon.
> But then maybe another table with spatial POINTs can be created? That way
> every vertex may have all of its attributes defined. However, another
> problems arises - how to link these points into a polygon. I feel that
> having a polygon in another table that just repeats those points is a bad
> idea because that info is redundant and it's going to be a pain in the butt
> to make it coherent.
>
> Sure, I could ignore all that trouble and simply hardcode an error of 0.05m
> in every measurement (since it doesn't change) and generate random point
> names (since our cadastral system seems to ignore them anyway) but that just
> doesn't feel right. Any ideas?
> --

Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net