The project has 9 shapefiles (5 polygon), 2 MrSID layers, a geoTiff, 3 GRASS vector layers, and 2 GRASS raster layers. Removing all layers, but the shapefiles, it required 7 minutes to load with Render on. If only the shapefiles are removed, it required about 7 minutes to load. The long times to load a project with render on appear to be a function of the number of layers and the not the layer type. Most of the layers are not displayed in the project.