On 23 Aug 2004 at 15:22, Thierry Godefroy wrote:

> I'm quite upset !...
>
> I just discovered that my Q60 was fitted with a buggy 68060 !
> Yes, a pre-1996 mask 060 (1G65V mask), while my Q60 was built
> as bought in 2001 !!!... This makes me wonder how many among
> the Q60s have that same buggy processor fitted...

Probably all full-blown 66 MHz Q60 will have that mask revision. There is nothing wrong about that. Especially as you have the "A" labelled 68060RC60, which should be the best full-blown 68060 silicon ever for overclocking. I toiled hard to locate them, and you could be a proud owner instead of lamenting. (The only full-blown chips leaving Motorola fabs at the time I built your board were 50 MHz, and I'm quite sure that was not what you wanted.)

The 1G65V mask revision is normal mainstream production, the 50 MHz speed grade is used in many thousands of Amiga and VME machines. The errata are business as usual, no need to spread public FUD here.

> I discovered this because Linux v2.4 got a recent fix for the
> I14 errata of these buggy processor, and logs the activation
> of the fix when the kernel boots. This fix consists in setting
> the bit 5 in the PCR (Processor Control Register), which
> disables one of the optimisations of the 060. But there are no
> less than 21 bugs in the maskset of my 060 !!!...

If you're already upset about 21 bugs, I wonder how you'd deal with modern chips that have far more bugs. Like a PowerPC derivative to which I've been porting eCos recently :-(

> No wonder why
> I get weird results each time I try to modify SMSQ/E and QLib_run
> in order make them work properly in copyback mode (currently,
> QLiberated programs hang/crash/loop randomly when copyback is
> enabled).

Any proof or just guessing? Reminds me of another "hardware bug" which was lamented in public, but turned out a MMU initialization error in SMSQ/E which caused random effects.

> I'm now in search for a bug-less and full blown 60MHz 68060
> (0E41J mask ONLY)...

I doubt such chips are on the market.

Thanks for all the flowers, maybe build your own error-free hardware next time. Or choose one of the million selling companies which will surely serve you better than me.

Peter