On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:56:06 +0200, Michael Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phoebus R. Dokos (Φοίβος Ρ. Ντόκος)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] QL Network link QL <--> PC possible?

IIRC sernet
only has v.1 config blocks (I am completely against the idea of config
blocks myself... and all self modifying executables for that manner... btw
:-) )

Completely agree. Having the configuration information within the executable
file itself is a messy and error prone thing. Remember a lesson on
information theory where patching executables was told to be one of the
major sins of programming... and I must admit this matter would have been
much easier in case the sernet file was accompanied with something like a
sernet_config file in plain text format.

and config_exe is free. I can send you a version of config if you
need.

Thanks for the nice offer. I found a version of config_exe on the already
mentioned demo disk (petawin.zip from Marcel's homepage). Could start it but
it tells me that sernet does not have a config level 1 block. Am I doing
something wrong?

Nope it just means that I was wrong and that sernet needs config level 2 blocks. I am using Menuconfig for these so I do not know if there's anything else free that can deal with them.

Petawin.zip I believe includes a menuconfig that works so it is possible that you could configure your sernet from there. Just attach your current qxl.win file to a different win drive and use the petawin file to boot from.

After all I guess the simplest workaround for me would be to get a cable
that works with the QL's ser1 port - as I picked up from the discussion
several people use sernet but noone gave a step-by step description how to
set it up for ser2.

It works the same way as long as sernet is configured to run from ser2 (or ser1 for that matter). There are problems with the IPC however on the QL and that's why it is *RECOMMENDED* to switch to a decent IPC like superHermes(lite) or -AT LEAST- Hermes.

If you have a Samsung QL (ie D serial ports) then a regular Null modem cable will do the trick for you (That's how I use it). There have been other cables discussed but I never encountered any problems myself with a PC cable.

A very good primer is on QLT - Contact Jochen Merz for a copy of that issue where Sernet-ting is exhausted as a subject :-) (And as Jochen nicely said it ... We've told you IT works!)

An additional idea is to find an old Menuconfig (Which is free unlike Menu_rext) that can work with the Menu extensions that you already have. However I do believe that (and I maybe wrong so don't quote me on that :-) ) updates for Menu_rext are free until the colour enabled version so Jochen may be able to provide you with one that works with the Menuconfig that you have.

Phoebus

P.S. Of course there's always the solution of using disks :-)