[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

No no  no

That can not work. PROforma/ProWesS already do some trickery to  increase
the stack for supervisor programs (to allow C code to be used).  That is
the bit which caused problems on Minerva for a long  time.

Anyway, general PROforma/ProWesS code cannot run in supervisor  mode, it
will only crash the machine.

However, you could just throw  the in a pipe and have a resident job
checking for that pipe once in a  while and print the stuff.
The main problem with this solution is figuring  out a mechanism to make
sure that two programs which try printing at the  same time don't get
their data mangled.

Kind  regards,
Joachim
OK, I see - however, surely that is where the new device driver could come
in - it could take data sent to the PAR device (or whatever it is to be
called),  and through it into the pipe - if it presents a <START DATA> tag and
<END
DATA> tag, the Proforma Filter program which would be watching this  pipe,
would know when data started and ended....

Presumably, if a second program tried to print before the pipe was emptied
by the Proforma Filter, the data would just be tagged on the end (or held in a
queue) by the device driver.

--
Rich  Mellor
RWAP Services

Stuck with ordinary dial up  internet connection ??
Read our review of internet accelerators and  broadband at: