In a message dated 16/11/2004 20:19:27 GMT Standard Time, dent freesurf.ch
writes:

How  about testing if a £10 subscription would bring in new
members by launching  a special offer for new subscribers at £10 ?
Jon.

A good idea, but I think the main problem with attracting new members  is
that they do not see any sort of return for their subscription. It does  serve
one important function, in that it appears that many Quanta members still  have
original QLs and very little else...

What do people actually want from Quanta - at the moment, all I see  is

- A library which has very few programs post 1995 - Quanta could take over
the Public Domain software function (not sure if Dilwyn would mind) - providing
 it for free to members, or maybe small cost to non-members, equivalent to
what  Dilwyn currently charges.

Problem is that no-one in Quanta seems willing / able / to have the
expertise to run such a service and ensure that it is kept up to date

- A magazine which is published infrequently and has few articles. The
problem is that most of its membership do not seem interested in new QL
technology
and therefore articles in QL Today are beyond them or of no  interest.  On
the other hand, all the basic functions of the QL have been  done to death.

-- No real  support for members - instead the members tend to turn to
traders.  Quanta  has access to quite a lot of second hand hardware and
software
(some of which I  have) and I have suggested to John Gilpin that they should
actually advertise  this in their magazine themselves - especially low cost
ways of
upgrading  standard QLs to give them more memory and disk drive access

- A website  which has very little information - it needs an overhaul, with
links to current  QL traders, some of the older articles, such as upgrade
options, and above all,  a means of applying to become a member

- Shows - now  Quanta has a long record of organising shows - however, they
seem to have run  out of steam and / or the incentive to organise these and it
is now left mainly  to the traders to organise and promote.  I cannot see
QL2005 happening if  left to Quanta at the moment...

- A stash of  money which is sat there - it should be used towards the
development and  promotion of the QL.  At the moment, it is sitting there and
the
longer it  is left, the harder it is going to be to find a project to spend it
on....

---

Rich Mellor
RWAP Services
26 Oak Road, Shelfield, Walsall,  West Midlands WS4 1RQ
TEL: 01922 691607
Visit our website at  URL:http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk

Stuck with ordinary dial up  internet connection ??
Read our review of internet accelerators and  broadband at: