I have decided to forward this message as I think all Quanta members should
read it. Derogatory comments about a third person have been removed.

----- Original Message -----
From: john mason
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: John Mason ; Geoff Wicks ; John Gregory ; Roy Brereton ; John Gilpin ; John
Southern ; Tony Firshman
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2004 8:57 PM
Subject: ENOUGH is ENOUGH and MORE THAN ENOUGH

From: Chairman QUANTA
To: ALL Subscribers QUANTA FORUM - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Copy to:          Geoff Wicks, Tony Firshman, QUANTA Committee
DTO: 201104:2030Z
ENOUGH is ENOUGH and MORE THAN ENOUGH

Some seven years ago Quanta Committee decided that it would be good for QL'ers
to have their own Internet based Forum. Robin Barker, then Chairman, very
kindly undertook the task of setting this up. At the same time he rationalised
email contact with Committee Members by providing a system of email addresses
which automatically forward to Committee Members no matter how many times they
themselves change or how many times their personal email addresses do so as
well.

There were problems with the first chosen ISP, and another was found.

The QUANTA email Forum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> site has more than proved its value
to Quanta members as a place to present news, exchange ideas, solve problems,
and perhaps most importantly debate issues of interest to the QL fraternity.

Most topics are constructively discussed but not surprisingly occasionally
debate gets quite heated. Fortunately, up to now, Quanta Committee have not had
to intervene since the Forum has proved to be self regulating, and itself dealt
quickly  with any offender.

That, unfortunately, cannot be said to be the position since mid October last.

An email was posted on the board in which a subscriber alleged that "Quanta is
out of touch with the QL community", boasted that "I had hijacked the QL2004
idea", said "I don't regret doing it because we are going to have a bloody good
time on Sunday" , continued "it would not have happened if we had left it to
Quanta".  Carried away by his own verbosity he carries on for some time making
yet more allegations.  Eventually saying "Another thought I am having is what
is the point of Quanta making another £1,000 profit if it never spends its
money on anything" and finally remarks "Having written that I should remind
everyone that I am a member of the Quanta committee and I accept a degree of
responsibility,"

Within four minutes of this email being sent a second subscriber responded -
adding to not, unfortunately, rebuking the first.

Seemingly mistaking Quanta Committee's "Freedom of Speech" tolerance policy for
something else the dialogue continued with the same slant, and eventually, on
Saturday 12th November, an assertion was made naming a member and capable of
being interpreted as being defamatory. In so doing they have put both
themselves and QL Users and Tinkerers Association at risk. If they desire to do
so to themselves that is one thing; but to imperil Quanta is another.

Committee has, over the years, dealt with a number of situations in which
members have put themselves very close to the line. Fortunately, for Quanta as
a whole, Committee have not had, so far, to invoke the Constitution to resolve
same.

I have no intention of responding to the assertions made on a point by point
basis. That would be even more destructive. I would be, however, failing in my
duty to all Quanta Members if I did not seek to correct some of that which has
been portrayed as being ascertainable fact.

1.                  It is true that Geoffrey Wicks was elected to this year's
Committee at the Quanta Annual General Meeting held in Manchester on Sunday
18th April 2004. The Meeting was fully aware that he had the status of a QL
Trader.

2.                  It is true that Geoffrey Wicks did attend the meeting of
Quanta Committee held at Hove on Sunday 23rd May 2004. Further he did
participate freely in the matters then considered, and moreover agreed that Roy
Brereton should continue to be responsible for the Quanta International
Workshop to mark the 21st Anniversary of both the QL and of QUANTA . The
workshop to be held in the Portsmouth area, and at a time which would permit
the  inclusion of the Annual General Meeting for 2005.

3.                  It is true that neither at the Hove Committee Meeting nor
since has he made any attempt to approach either Roy Brereton or myself, as
common courtesy expects, with an offer to assist in any way with the "QL is 21"
proposed Quanta International Workshop.

****4 paragraphs of derogatory comment removed*******

ENOUGH is ENOUGH and MORE THAN ENOUGH

Quanta Committee has and will, as always, continue to welcome constructive
contributions on the topic of  a "Quanta International Workshop in 2005"; but
as and from the "Sent date and time" of this email any further attempts to
extend the recent non-constructive line will be regarded as being an abuse, and
not tolerated.

It is NOW time to move on -

Firstly, Quanta will be marking 2005 with a "QL is 21" Quanta International
Workshop of two days duration at Portsmouth - subject of course to any
decisions that Quanta Committee may make - details will be announced in both
Quanta Magazine and placed on the Web Site as quickly as possible.

Beyond that I, personally, hope and believe that QUANTA will be marking its
25th Anniversary in 2009 with a major QUANTA International Workshop in the UK.
I hope that Sub-Groups in all other countries will do the same.

Secondly, your Committee will, as always, be pleased to take into account your
views and suggestions - if you want to ensure that you are heard  then PLEASE
send them direct to John Southern, Quanta Secretary by letter or email or
telephone. All those addresses are given on the inside of the front cover of
Quanta Magazine. Copy them, by all means, if you so wish to the email Forum
board - < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >.

Thirdly, if you are willing and able to help with getting the show on the road
or with helping to run it when held - then PLEASE contact Roy Brereton direct -
contact details also on the inside cover of Quanta Magazine

Fourthly, Please do tell us that you will be coming - Its Your Celebration -
moreover I expect Quanta to be in a position to offer special accommodation
rates, and I have hopes of a parallel programme for your ladies!

Finally, I continue to be available to ALL QUANTA members who would like to
talk to me - if it is of an evening then I should be obliged if you would
follow the longstanding Quanta practice of telephoning before 22.30 hours UK
time

Thank you

Keep on QL'ing

John Mason