----- Original Message -----
From: "Wolfgang Lenerz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] The way forward?

> On 22 Nov 2004 at 15:59, Dave P wrote:
>
> > Personally, I think Quanta is irrelevant. (...)
> and , later on:
> > For me, the misfortune of Nasta's work is that the resources aren't
there
> > to do something TRULY revolutionary. (...)The only organization with the
funds is a
> > private organization that is only allowed to benefit its members -
Quanta.

> So Quanta isn't irrelevant?
> Didn't they extend a loan to D&D systems to get the Q60 built (further?).
> (...)

Yes they did, and a very straight forward and successful arrangement it was
and fully repaid within 12 months. This is the sort of thing that Quanta
would be willing to consider for other projects but no one has come forward
with a project.
John Gilpin.(Treasurer)

> > I don't blame the Quanta committee for not doing anything. (...)
> > In my company, the solution for this is to decide on three or four clear
> > courses of action. Allocate each member with ten points, and allow them
> > allocate the points in any proportion to the proposed paths. At the end
of
> > this exercise you have a clear understanding of which projects have the
> > most and least support.
>
> Isn't the fact that Quanta isn't doing this exactly what they are blamed
for?

> (...later email...)
> > The real problem for Nasta is such a simple one. He has a complete
design
> > ready to go - he just needs the time and resources to follow it through.
> > Some of us have sourced and are holding components for his projects but
> > without a couple of months away from yucky jobs, and the resources to
get
> > everything made to a suitable standard, it won't happen.
>
> I disagree in parts. One of Nasta's "problems" is that he seems to be a
hardware man
> only (sorry to discuss you as if you weren't there, Nasta). Let me hasten
to add that I
> have met him only once briefly at QL 2004 and found him extremeny likable.
>
> Nasta gave a very interesting (and witty) talk about two projects, one of
which could
> be seen as being not that far from completion, and he seems to be driving
it forward
> technically very nicely.
>
> What, IMHO, Nasta doesn't seem to realise is that it is also up to him to
drive the
> project forward financially - no one else is going to do that for him.
>
> Why doesn't he say (for example here on this list) "I need so much money
and if I
> have that, I'll build (whatever - a prototype, a working version ..)
within so many
> months".
>
> There have alreay been people on this list who have stated that they would
support
> new projects financially...
>
> > For me, the misfortune of Nasta's work is that the resources aren't
there
> > to do something TRULY revolutionary. I have these quaint ideas of
miniATX
> > motherboards using standard everything and a pair of 68060s - all this
is
> > possible if it's funded.
>
> To what tune?
>
> > Maybe [Quanta] misinterpret the rules and think that "benefit" means "do
> > business with" - they can do business with any QLer...
>
> But they do have to make sure that the projects they finance are
financially sound and
> of benefit to many of their members (and NOT the QL community in general.
If we
> want Quanta to be of benefit to the QL community in general, we must all
become
> members). What if many of the Quanta members are still sticking to their
original QLs

Now you're talking guys. How many membership forms do you want? New members
(or old ones returning) are always welcome to Quanta!!

John Gilpin. (Membership Secretary)