----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Mellor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Proforma Filter

> OK, I have now had the chance to digest the wealth of emails on this
> subject.
>
> What we need is a definitive document which will set out the bare bones of
> how this system will work.
> I would be willing to put this together based on the earlier emails - if
> you want to be part of the design process, then let me know and I will
> forward the draft document for comments.
>
> Once we have agreed on the specification, we then need to look for
> volunteers -
>
> 1) Person to write a new PFF device driver (failry simple)
> 2) Person to write the Printer THING
> 3) Person(s) to write the filters
>
> I would also suggest that this is put forward as a project to Quanta and
> we ask them to finance the project - possibly a one off fee for
> development costs (£250 split equally between the developers)??  If need
> be, this could be done as a loan and the end product sold commercially
> akin to the situation with the Qx0 where Quanta get a share of each sale
> to repay the loan (not as if it would ever be repaid, unless we sold the
> program for £50 per copy).
>
> Any comments on this?? Quanta comments would be also appreciated.
>

> --
> Rich Mellor
> RWAP Services
> 26 Oak Road, Shelfield, Walsall, West Midlands WS4 1RQ
>
> http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/

Even though I am an officer on the Quanta Committee, I too am leaning
towards "spending" some funds as distinct from "lending" the money. I see no
purpose in hoarding our member's subscriptions if they can be used to some
purpose to the benefit of those members. It is going to be difficult to
maintain our surplus of income over expenditure as last year as there are
not many expenses left that we can effectively reduce and our income falls
with the steady decline in membership. It could be worth trying something
different to see if we can attract new (or the return of old) members. I
also like the idea of a combined toolkit and software package which would
provide a basic level of support to our members. This could and possibly
should be supported by a series of article on basic stuff, like how does
level two configuration differ from level one and how does a novice identify
between files called congig1, config2 and Menu_config? (This is where I have
to admit my ignorance on some very basic stuff!!) How does one configure
FileInfo2? (is the programme which enables one to double click on a file and
set its basic programme running by virtue of its postscript ( the last bit
of the file name after the underscore.)) I personally would like a series of
articles written for the novice (a blow by blow account) on such things
instead of waiting for the next subgroup meeting and the listening to two or
three others with differing views as to how it ought to be done. Are there
still any novices out there, or am I the only one asking daft questions and
unable to retain the answers long enough to remember them say a year later?

Perhaps if something was explained to me in small doses that I could
understand, I could write from my own experiences an article for the
magazine from a novice's stand point and then a year or so later refer back
to it to refresh my own memory. Caution, am I letting myself in for
something?

Keep the ideas flowing. There WILL be a quanta committee meeting at Byfleet
next Sunday.

John Gilpin.