I actually use a 1x1 window at position 0x0 for this. Since I don't normally do anything else with this but use it for a dummy channel for screen size detection, it works great.

One note of caution, if you do one this small, make sure you do not have borders set to any size other than 0. It seems that the opw_con call go ahead and attempt to setup a window even if there is not enough room for borders. I was getting away with this until the other day when it starting locking things up. Seems like the error trapping in opw_con isn't quite smart enough to check for stupid code like what I tried to do :)

jim