On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:05:10 +0000, Tony Firshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On  Mon, 3 Jan 2005 at 10:57:24, Rich Mellor wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

That is why PayPal is so good - only your credit card to think about
and  no extra charges really.
I simply don't like dealing with a foreign based company.
There would be real hassles if problems arose.

But Tony, we are not talking about foreign based companies - we are talking about QL traders accepting payments - all the QL traders have been around more than long enough to be trustworthy by now, surely......
The foreign company I am talking about is paypal itself.

Oh right I see what you mean - they are a US company and I have never had any problems myself, having used them for over 3 years.
Any credit card payment processor can cause you problems with chargebacks etc - they tend to refund the customer money first.

However, if you want to accept credit card payments and do not want to fork out the setting up fees and monthly fees for a merchant account (or cannot justify them), then I see no real alternative. If anyone knows of one, then I'd be interested

I am talking about chargebacks etc to customers, not trouble with
traders.
Paypal is -very- bad when things go worng.

There is no UK law to help me here.

In any case, 6% is far too much.

As I said in reply to the other message - 6% was a bit of an exaggeration.

Just build this into your pricing.

In all my overseas trading I have had no trouble getting customers to
use IMOs or bankers drafts, or even cash.

The trouble is that if you are selling via a website in the main, it is much easier for customers to click on a link and enter their credit card details for payment. If you insist on them sending IMOs or bankers drafts, they have to take account of the extra fees and it is then a question of whether they can bother going to the bank to sort it out - you normally lose a sale this way.

The other problem is the customer finding a bank in their country which has a UK branch - if they are not a customer of that bank, then they have to pay even more on the main.

How many customers are going to pay ÂÂ5 - Â10 (or more) fee just to order something for Â7.50 (which is one of my main orders - Spectrum keyboard membranes).

Cash is not really an option - too risky to send in the post and after all, it is illegal to send cash in the UK postal system.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/