In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rich Mellor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
<SNIP>
The -command- is there, but is the actual code to create the directories actually part of the TK2 ROM section of the O/S.

It might well be, but what you did doesn't -prove- it.
It might rely on specific hardware/firmware.
That actually is an issue. It seems very possible that the TK2 code in an interface is hardware specific.

That is hard to tell I agree but surely one of the users of the emulators or QDOS Classic should be able to tell us. I dug the QL out again and created a sub-directory copied files to it and then read it back on QPC2 so it does do the actual creation. Could be that the code accesses the Gold Card ROM but I think it is self contained. The reason we wanted the TKII code to be available was that users of UQLX and other non_SMSQ/E systems wanted the ability to create sub-directories (and other bits of TKII like LRESPR) Many of these who had QLs were able to make an image to load onto their systems to do this but, if you don't have a working QL with a Gold Card you can't do it. There must be a few of you out there who have done this so can you test it ? - Actually you can test it, Tony. You have a QDOS emulator running don't you? If you do make a TKII image that can be LRESPR'd and the code works to create directories please let me have it for distribution.
Just to add a further spanner to the works - weren't the level 2 drivers originally supplied as a replacement chip for the Trump Card - IIRC that was there first appearance - and they were by Jurgen Flakenberg, not TT (or have I got this mixed up with something else).

No, definitely QJump as Jochen said. It may be that Falkenburg distributed a replacement chip but I do not recall his actual code being any good at all. His HDD interface had really awful software which was actually a lot bigger than it said it was and wrote into the video area. OK when you had a standard QL but when the Aurora came along it caused a lot of problems. Stuart always said he stole some of the code from the Miracle Interface without asking or paying for it.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.BN41 2LB