On  Fri, 18 Feb 2005 at 14:50:13, James Hunkins wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>:) That story sounds all too true.  I have actually seen some very fast
>Java but unfortunately, that is more the exception than the norm.  It
>is very easy to program poor Java code and it can bog down big time.
>The nice thing with C is that it tends to enforce proper use of
>structures and better programming habits.  Java leaves it up to the
>individual programmer and software architect to know what they are
>doing - not always a good idea (to be nice).
... but C and java do not enforce layout.

Python has no { }  at all.  The program structure is governed totally by
indentation.

I -always- indent religiously (C and perl) - it helps readability (and
the hunt for the missing } in the middle of code!)
.... so I was quite happy with this, and python is fast.
Worldnews now tend towards python (with loads of C and some perl)

I would -love- a language that enforced -documentation- (8-)#

I keep quoting Lau's brilliant superHermes documentation, but it is
worth repeating.

The sH _asm was vast, but is mainly documentation.
He wrote giant introductions, where he had a dialogue (with himself) on
how to approach basic logic, listing out -all- his thoughts.
Brilliant.  Not only does a future programmer know what he did ('cos it
is there) but what he rejected.

Even the version number code was seamlessly integrated, but simply
un-commenting one allocation line in the middle of comment.

; blah bvlah blooggles
; blah blah and blah and
version = "3.05"
; and balh blah blah blah

Tony
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://firshman.co.uk