In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

(changed subject line to reflect change in thread)
Malcolm Cadman wrote:
Does anyone have a list of 'old programs' written for QDOS that do not
run under the PE ?

If there is a known list, then some action may taken.

--
Malcolm Cadman
John Gregory made a similar remark at the Quanta AGM when he was asked about library programs which only exist in MDV versions in the library, or programs which only run on one ROM version.

His reply implied that a general trawl of the library for such software was probably not viable, but if anyone could bring specific examples to his attention he'd see what could be done.

By and large, MDV programs can be tweaked for FLP usage with one of these options:

1. Stuffing it through Digital Precision's Transfer Utility or some such program of which there are some available on the PD software scene.

2. Adding an FLP_USE mdv command in its boot program on systems which support FLP_USE (i.e. virtually all disk d=systems except very, very early ones).

3. Using DEV_USE or the SUB equivalent (which also helps with transferring such software to run from hard disk).

I feel another article coming on....in fact I think it highly likely we could run articles on subjects like this, pointer environment basics, ramdisks and so on at least once a year since the questions do seem to arise very often even though the subjects have appeared many times in print.

Yes, I do remember doing (1) above, many years ago now, although I had forgotten about it.

Method (2) FLP_USE was always the simplest method of running software that had 'coded in' reference to mdv's.

Since SMSQ/E and QPC, I can't recall of any software that I now use that has a problem as such.

Although many other people may have programs that they would wish to be brought up to date or modified in use.

So, a list of programs as targets for modifying would be a good thing. Then if there is demand someone can work on them. If permission is granted by original authors.

Dave Gilham has recently made Perfection operate in a full screen mode, rather than the QL 512x256 window size. Hopefully that will be available soon for everyone to enjoy the benefit of.

The Exchange suite of the original PSION 4, would also benefit from modifications such as accessing larger screens.

--
Malcolm Cadman