In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jms1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

<clip>

Perhaps we may now understand why it is difficult for somebody to try the
QL.
What can we do to improve compatability so newcomers can try without help?

Yes, interesting proposition.

We have to take a good look at QDOS, the original OS, and the software for it; and then see what simple or more complicated work is needed to make the bridge with SMSQ and SMSQ/E. From the users point of view.

Following on from this all the hardware add-ons and upgrades need to be looked at, and simple explanations of suitable paths to take to maintain or enhance performance.

If this can be documented and collated then we can just point users to the signposts laid out, and the user can make their own decisions.

Dilwyn Jones already has some quite excellent material on his website that describes the history and development of the QL.

Roy Wood has begun a series in QL Today which is describing the where with all of the various set ups and paths that QL development has followed.

So in the end some users may choose just to stay with QDOS and get the best benefit from it, others may choose to bridge across between QDOS and SMSQ benefiting from both. Others may choose to be entirely SMSQ/E, and beyond.

Whatever ... a commonality will be established.

--
Malcolm Cadman