On  Wed, 13 Jul 2005 at 13:07:28, gwicks wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>3: I have just had a telephone call from a person who abandoned the QL
>many years ago, but who has now discovered a load of microdrive
>cartridges that he suspects may contain interesting material. I gave
>him the "statutory" warning that after this time the cartridges may not
>be readable. I then realised that I might have to refresh my memory
>about recovering data from corrupt microdrives when I look at them for
>him.
I find Qpac2 "format ram1_md1_" a brilliant command.
For those who haven't discovered it, it does a fast sector by sector
image read of a microdrive.  Any files with bad sectors have * appended.
One copies good files to another ram disk, and keep repeating.  So
often, bad sectors become good after a time.

>After a couple of still years I have had several requests from people
>for help in transferring files from the QL to a PC this year. Many of
>these people are elderly, have only used simple QLs for simple purposes
>but want their old QL files to be available to their family after the
>deaths. I suspect we shall see more cases like this in the next few
>years,

I find there are still many "original QL" users.  They often have lived
in their own bubble and hadn't realised anything was still going on.

I still get a steady trickle of QL repairs.

Tony
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
          tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://firshman.co.uk