I've received the following query, can anyone help me with the reply, as I don't have a system (QL or Aurora) set up at this moment to test with basic pointer environment.

I have downloaded a program from your website which say it needs the new colour system. Presumably this means the colour drivers and the new window
manager I read about.

The program does not run on my system, which is a Super Gold Card QL. I thought this program should run in old mode 4 colours (by the documentation), but I get out of range and invalid parameter errors when it tries to run on my system. Is there anything that can be done? My system has got pointer environment, but is
old v1.61.

Thomas."

Here is my proposed reply, but I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm if I'm right as I don't have a QL set up to test this (the point I'm trying to make is that software which uses the System Palette may run on a QL if you have the latest pointer environment on your QL):

"Programs like the one you describe use the System Palette, a method of describing pre-defined colour schemes to help provide standardised appearances for program displays. Although this existed to some extent in older pointer environments (you can see the standardised appearances or 'colourways' in QMenu menus, QPAC2 menus and so on), the older pointer environments like the version you mention probably don't support everything needed by the new Window Manager 2.

It is worth upgrading to the latest pointer environment v2.01 which implements some of the Window Manager 2 requirements on a QL system - this can help programs for the new environment to run to some degree with no or fewer errors on an older system which does not have the new 8-bit or 16-bit colours. If I remember correctly, the facilities you need were introduced at v2.00 of the Pointer Environment. You obviously won't get 16 bit colour on a QL, but at least the programs should run in old mode 4 colours.

Pointer Environment files ptr_gen, wman and hot_rext can now be distributed free of charge. You can get the latest versions from Wolfgang Lenerz's SMSQ/E website at www.scp-paulet-lenerz.com/smsqe/ (follow link from the opening page, as the files are on a separate page there) or from my download site at www.dilwyn.uk6.net/index.html (navigate to the Pointer Environment page where you can download the latest PE I have). As it is a free download it is worth everybody getting the latest version of pointer environment anyway.

Most of my new QL software will now make use of System Palette colours, so will only run on a system with WMAN2 (pointer environment files v2.00 or later). Since PE is now free, everyone should get the latest version for their system as it will help users to run the new software on older hardware."

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.